5.01.2014

i, ii, iii, iv, v

untitled untitled untitled untitled untitled untitled untitled untitled untitled untitled untitled untitled untitled untitled untitled untitled untitled untitled untitled(i) In all honesty, the past 2 weeks have been exhausting. Mentally, physically. Not helped any by the fact that whenever I get stressed, I get sick. (Yeah. It's fab.) Spring made an appearance a few weeks ago, then promptly exited in an unexpected-but-not-so-unusual-for-Arizona snowstorm. It gave us just enough moisture to dampen the ground, but the cold has lingered for over a week, forcing us to have fires in our stove again. I kind of wish the weather would just make up its mind already.

(ii) Oh, yeah. I got the 50mm 1.8 lens. (EEEEP!) The photographer in me is absolutely squealing over the improved DOF. (That's 'Depth of Field', folks.) Also, a friend shared a freelensing tecnique for Nikon, so I've been happily filling up my memory card with pictures of budding trees, and flowering... weeds.

(iii) My oldest sister and her family came up from 'the valley' to visit for 5 days, and my niece and nephews posed happily for the camera, when I wasn't trying to keep it out of little hands. (I love photographing people. There is so much to be captured in a person's face alone - the eyes, the tightness of their lips, the wrinkles, and laughter lines. A never-ending story.) They kept me on my toes. Late night conversations, cappuccino mocha ice cream, and the movie "Australia". Good times.

(iv) Summer will be here, before we know it. And we're leaving for another month in Ohio in exactly 2 weeks. I have such mixed emotions about leaving home for 4 weeks. I've never been fond of Arizona, but I've lived here for 14 years, and it's still home. Our rambling house. The small town(s). It's like time stops when we leave. But it really doesn't. We're gone, and nothing changes for us, until we get back, and see what has changed for everyone else. It's like living two different lives. No real plans for the summer, besides that. Maybe I should get a job. (Eh. Maybe.)

(v) Honesty. It's a tough word. It really is. It's so easy to hide behind things. Online. In everyday life. In blogging, we hide behind pictures, behind smooth, poetic words, and witty sayings. Behind quotes, and smiley faces, and hasty comments. It's really hit me. It is so important to be honest. To share what you're struggling with. Not making your blog, or your friends' confidence a dumping ground, but also not saying "I'm doing good" with fake cheerfulness when you really want to cry. Being honest. It's hard. But I'm going to be honest, for myself, if for no one else.

5 comments:

  1. I've just gotta say: WAIT NO REAL PLANS?!!!! WE'VE GOT TO CHANGE THAT!!!!! seriously, though, i am NOT going to pass up the opportunity of seeing you in July if you're in the state. i flat our refuse.

    okay, now that i'm done with my rant i'm going to say: HOLY COW!!! your photos are amazing, and it would be a lie if i didn't say that i'm a little jealous of your 1.8mm. :) you are amazing, m'dear Pond. absolutely amazing. xx || MH

    p.s. also, I know that you've been going through some pretty intense weeks, and i wanted to let you know, if you EVER need to talk, darling, i am always here. it's a 24/7 service including a listening ear, sarcasm, and POI fangirling. ;) con tanto amour. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. these are so beautiful, so raw. i 'specially love the second, third, and fourth to last.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, love these pictures! So beautiful. The snow in the hair is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh... the first photographs take with my new lens were always my favorites. Whenever I look over them again, all the feelings of wonder and excitement and squeakiness that accompany the shallow dop come rushing back...Love it.
    These are gorgeous. Really now...;)

    ~Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ughh your photography is amazing. Especially that shot of the snow in your hair. And the 50mm is great, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete

thanks for commenting, and sharing some love. ♥