6.10.2014

bits and pieces

I'm woken up by the sound of clattering directly beneath me; mom in the kitchen. Through the whir of the fan, I can hear birds singing. Bluebirds, cardinals, mockingbirds, all voices joined in a melody of joyful chaos, as they welcome the new day. There are baby birds on the front porch, above the light - five of them in one nest, and they're piled on top of each other; I'm surprised they all still fit. We're not sure what kind of birds they are, but we've watched them since there were only 5 tiny eggs in the nest. They'll be flying away soon.

It's quiet; aside from the chatter of birds, and the occasional sputtering of a passing car (or more often, truck or tractor), the rolling hills have a surreal hush spread over them, like a muffling blanket. It's peaceful, like a haven of solitude, and silence. We have no internet access at our little cabin, and the time away from all the statuses, and messages has been wonderful - I've had a lot of distraction-free-time, that I've put to use working on my novel. It's coming along, slowly but surely. Once it's finished, I'll start editing. Oh, joy. ;)

Not a whole lot to document, actually. Writing a blog post feels strange after 3 weeks without one. (How has it already been 3 weeks?!) I could get used to this kind of life, but we'll be heading home in a week and a half. The speed at which time is flying is dizzying - almost frightening. Ah, well. Enjoying the passing of time is important, I've realized, instead of worrying about it. Besides, our worry changes nothing; it only warps our view of beauty, and chases away contentment.

I'll be ready to get home, but for right now, I'm gathering all the bits and pieces of beauty around me, and storing them in my heart; not for documenting, or sharing, or tweeting, or updating my facebook status - just to hold; to carry, and to remember.

10 comments:

  1. Oh my oh my.
    Your photography is getting so good dear.
    Wow.
    Love

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful writing, especially that last paragraph. You have a way with words that can get right to the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and the pics are fabulous, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, i've missed your post full of beauty. <3 these photos are just amazing. you have such a real, authentic style in your photographs. i admire that so much, your editing style is always so you, and fits your brand so well. gahh, i just love it! and you, yeah, i love you a lot too! ;)
    xx.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pictures and words. Wish I was there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. missed you. these photos are beyond words. :) x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish to write like you. Your words flow so beautifully.

    Enjoy the time of no distractions. Enjoy being present; it's a rare thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So amazin' when it's distraction free, isn't it? I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wonderful. i absolutely adore this. i really need to have a two or three week getaway from all the noise and hustle and bustle of the internet and every-day that is my life and just spend some time somewhere beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for commenting, and sharing some love. ♥