6.20.2014

once again, tomorrow


Tomorrow. 

We leave Ohio tomorrow. It seems like we just arrived, and strange as it sounds, I miss it already. It's more than an enjoyment of the beauty, and the time spent with extended (but very dear) family that will be absent. It's almost like this magical, green place has cast a spell over me; one that won't be broken by the return to normalcy, or the simplicity of everyday life in Arizona. Ohio is home to me. It's where I was born, where my roots are planted firmly, amongst the thick roots of oak trees, and delicate stems of daisies and wild tangles of grapevines that are growing among the limbs of the maple trees. 

Ohio flows in my blood, and is tangled up in the curls of my humidity-saturated hair; it lives among the mosquito bites that freckle my arms and is wrapped tightly around the strings of my memory ridden heart. I remember living here. Some think that a two year old wouldn't remember a place so vast, especially when it dwells so far in the past of my mind; but colors, faces and shapes aren't the only things I remember from 15 years ago. I remember feelings, I remember sensations, I remember being home; I've never forgotten, and coming back here only reminds me again. 

You don't forget a place that is a part of you. It is stamped upon your skin, and written on the fragile, crumbling papers of your heart. You don't forget what it feels like to belong somewhere. You find you haven't forgotten the places of your childhood, even though you only recollect when you see them again. They cling tenaciously to your consciousness, and burn in the back of your mind, rising unbidden at the most unexpected moments.

There are always things you never forget.

And you never, ever, forget where home is. 

12 comments:

  1. Mmmmyes; vast, open green spaces have a magical feel to me too; no matter how many times I'm in them. They never cease to delight, cheer and impress me with the awe of God's splendor. Whether through the lens or from direct observation. ;)

    Also, I'm curious to know just how you got so close to that fledgling! We've had several near our house, but they always manage to hear/see me 10 feet off... =/

    `Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. gahh, this makes me miss the east and all the lush greenery. colorado is so barren sometimes. :P
    also dangg, you are so gorgeous- it isn't even funny. like, i'm not even kidding, your eyes are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful, Mikailah. Love the way you write.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "You don't forget a place that is a part of you. It is stamped upon your skin, and written on the fragile, crumbling papers of your heart. You don't forget what it feels like to belong somewhere. You find you haven't forgotten the places of your childhood, even though you only recollect when you see them again. They cling tenaciously to your consciousness, and burn in the back of your mind, rising unbidden at the most unexpected moments." <<<< just yes.

    oh, my goodness. these are swoon-worthy and full of summertime feels. I can't wait to hear all about OH. love you so much. || MH

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so true and as always, your writing really gets to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the way you write, and your photos are oh so absolutely gorgeous.
    Kelsi
    Messy Bits

    ReplyDelete
  7. Incredible photos. And your writing is absolutely amazing. It seems practically soaked in nostalgia and it's flows really beautifully

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is incredible, i love your words. they ring so true.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all of these pictures and your words bring soul to them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is beautiful - photos and words.

    ReplyDelete
  11. woah, these photos though!
    oh and also, I tagged you with a little award on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete

thanks for commenting, and sharing some love. ♥